What do I need to hire a van, car or minibus from TJS?

Van Hire from TJS

To hire a vehicle from TJS you’ll need the following:

  • Your photo driving licence
  • DVLA check code – see below
  • Two forms of ID (in addition to your driving licence). At least one of these must be dated within the last 3 months and include your current address (eg a utility bill, bank or credit card statement)
  • Additional drivers? They’ll need to produce the same documents as the principle renter. Find out more here
  • Payment for the hire (debit or credit card only), plus your deposit

What is a DVLA check code?

To hire any vehicle, anywhere in the world, UK citizens must provide a code which enables hire companies to check with the DVLA for things like penalty points and disqualifications. Getting your code is simple and only takes a few seconds.

To get your code, visit this address: https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence and click the ‘Start Now’ button.

Before you begin, you’ll need the following:

  • Your driving licence number
  • Your National Insurance number
  • The postcode on your driving licence

Check codes are valid for 21 days.

Is my licence ok for the vehicle I’m hiring?

You’ll need a national licence from your country of residence to rent our vehicles. If your licence is not printed in the Roman alphabet you’ll also need an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP can only be used in conjunction with a national licence (ie an IDP on its own won’t be sufficient to hire a car or van).

Is there an insurance excess?

Yes. All hire vehicles are subject to an insurance excess. In some cases you may be able to reduce this for an additional charge upon collection from your chosen TJS Location.

Which van/minibus for which licence?

Find out which categories of vehicle your licence allows you to drive here.

Automatic entitlement only?

We have some automatic vehicles if your licence entitles you to drive automatic vehicles only. Call us and ask for details.

Hire your car or van from TJS now. Complete the booking form or find your local branch on the right of this page.