Frequently Asked Vehicle Hire Questions

Please click on a question below and the answer will be revealed.

We’re sorry, but all online and prepaid bookings are non-refundable. Please phone your local branch for further details.

You need to be aged between 25 and 75 and held a full licence for at least 2 years. For people carriers, drivers must be between 30 and 75 and have driven for at least 5 years.

A National licence from your country of residence is needed to rent our vehicles. If your licence is not printed in the Roman alphabet an International Driving Permit (IDP) is also required.

An IDP can only be used in conjunction with a National Licence. Most licences cover you to drive up to 8 seater cars and up to a 3.5 tonne van.

We have some Automatic vehicles should you only have an automatic entitlement.

In most cases this is not a problem, but please have the details of any endorsements available at the time of booking to enable us to assess any extra charges. The extra charges would normally be covered by an increase in deposit and / or excess.

We only accept Debit or Credit card and accept most major Cards.

Our prices include fully comprehensive insurance with an excess, UK breakdown cover and VAT.

Extra charges are applicable if the vehicle is to be taken outside of mainland UK.

There is a small extra charge for additional drivers who must produce their licence at the time of hire they must also meet our insurance criteria and fill in an additional drivers form before being authorised to drive.

You will need your “check code” from, your photo driving licence, together with two other forms of ID – one of which must be dated within the last 3 months and include your current address e.g. a utility bill, bank or credit card statement. Plus payment for the hire together with the deposit.

We allow some of our vehicles to travel overseas for an additional cost. We need to know where you will be going and for how long so we can arrange additional breakdown cover and insurance.

Additional documentation is necessary to be carried with the vehicle when travelling outside mainland UK which will be provided at the commencement of hire.

All of our vehicles have 24hour breakdown and recovery service. In the event of a breakdown you should phone the number on your rental agreement.

We just need you to make sure everybody is OK and call an ambulance and or police if required. Take details of who was involved and what happened and try to obtain independent witnesses, then call the breakdown service if you need recovering.

An accident report form will have to be completed for the insurance company as soon as possible. Failure to complete an accident report at one of our offices within reasonable time could incur you with significant charges relating to the accident.

All our vehicles are full of fuel at collection and we charge a refuel charge for refuelling if not returned full.

For more information please contact us
. Thank you for choosing TJS Self Drive.